Thursday, May 26, 2005

Eyes rolling

I have such an inquisitive little boy. Lately, I've been fortunate enough to have cared for him during the day while his mom is at work. One thing that is funny about his demeanor is that he really fights going to sleep sometimes. He is perfectly happy sitting in the crook of my arm face outwards so he can look at the world, but if you put him in the stroller when there is something to be observing--he'll let you know about it. Just now he was trying not to fall asleep after eating a bottle. He closed his eyes to little slits, but kept them open. Then slowly his eyes drooped back in the back of his head. Pretty freaky. Now he's finally conked, but he didn't go without a fight!

One thing I've noticed is that women I encounter don't seem to give me much credit for fatherhood. I know new parents get comments all the time, but no one has said anything to Lara, and I've gotten quite a few people telling me what to do. The check out woman at the grocery was incredulous that Wes didn't have socks on. "You need to get some socks on that boy! [Wesley peeps] See, He's saying, 'You should know better than that dad!'" If you were imagining a jovial, friendly tone--you got it wrong. She was dressing me down right there as she scanned the food I was buying. I just rolled my eyes at her and sighed. I won't offend my female readers by posing the question of "reverse sexism," but instead offer a piece of advice for my own. Ladies, don't treat men who are caring for their children like bumbling idiots who must just be out for an occasional stroll with their kid--you could be offering advice to a person like me who has been caring for their child full time, and it is a little demeaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment