Thursday, December 13, 2007

A gift from Walden Pond



I decided rather than check ESPN for their latest vitriolic outburst about the new head coach of the Hogs, I'd do something productive with my time. So, I swiveled the chair over and looked at my bookshelf, grabbed Walden, and looked at the table of contents: Headings like "Where I Lived, and What I lived for," "Sounds," "Visitors," and "Winter Animals," grabbed my eye. So, I open to a page in the "What I lived for" section. Thoreau is ruminating on the qualities of the morning, and then qualifies that perhaps morning is simply a state of mind, and that morning can occur for those who develop the talent at it any hour or every hour of the day, saying, "To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning." And then this sentence: "Morning is when I am awake and there is a dawn in me."

Wow--those are two of the most beautiful thoughts I have encountered in a while. What a gift. Glad I came across them, so I thought I'd pass them along.

No comments:

Post a Comment