Monday, October 19, 2009

The Revealer and Killing the Buddha

I didn't say in advance that I was going to take a month long break, but it looks like I have. To tell the truth, I was not planning on it, but since I have just now drummed up the gusto to actually write, and it happens to be a month since the last post, we'll just call it a month long vacation, okay?

So, I'll make it easy on myself and wade back in to the blogging life with a link and commentary.
I just started reading Jeff Sharlet's The Family tonight. Looks like it's going to be great--more understanding of American religious history and theological nuances involved in the fundamentalist movement than I expected I'd get--and I've just finished the introduction. I checked out the author's blogsite thereveler.org, and was led to http://killingthebuddha.com/ from there. First time I've stumbled upon this bit of real estate. Looks very interesting. I'm sure to return. Okay, that was fairly easy. More to come.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:35 PM

    I'm gonna get me that there book too, buddy boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you stumbled on KtB! Enjoy! And, when you're done with "The Family," be sure to pick up a copy of our latest book, "Believer, Beware: First-Person Dispatches from the Margins of Faith."

    Nathan
    senior editor, KtB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nathan, I saw that on the blog and put it on my list. I enjoyed the video dispatch from Eureka Springs on KtB too, I saw it just after visiting on a little vacation (it was a family vacation spot for me growing up. I always think of Anne Murray when I'm in Eureka Springs because that's the tape my mom had on during one of our visits in one of my random childhood memories.)
    I enjoyed Killing the Buddha, and also love the name--its origin is one of my favorite stories from Buddhism.

    ReplyDelete