Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Books tag

1. One book that changed your life?

The Secret of Francis of Assisi, by Christian Bobin. The lyricism of the book made me fall in love with my own faith tradition. Lara and I would read it to each other when she visited me over in Oxford. I remember limiting myself to a chapter a night so it wouldn't go by too fast.


2. One book you have read more than once?

I don't think I've ever read any book twice. I will undoubtedly read The Last Temptation of Christ several times during my life though. Here is a book that deserves more than one read.


3. One book you would want on a desert island?

I think I'd take Philip Pulmann's "His Dark Materials" series. There are so many levels to the book. Of course, I'd have to send away in a bottle for the upcoming follow up--The Book of Dust. I suppose I'd be sheltered from the movie version. That'd be a good thing or a bad thing if all the hype is true.


4. One book that made you laugh?

Anne Lamott's Traveling Mercies



5. One book that made you cry?

For Whom the Bell Tolls, Hemingway. I don't remember why. The Sun Also Rises also might have jerked a tear. I think I might've cried at the end of Lord of the Rings because I knew I'd never read it again for the first time. I really don't cry that often.

6. One book you wish had been written?

On the Road. The research would be fun.


7. One book you wish had never been written?
Anything by Anne Coulter. I wish she wasn't alive. Mein Kampf too I suppose, for the sake of humanity.



8. One book you are currently reading?

It's been a while since I've picked it up--but it is great--The Brief History of the Dead, by Kevin Brockmeier



9. One book you have been meaning to read?



The Bible--Never read the whole thing. I guess I'm a hypocrite

10. Now tag five people.
I'll just put three more recommendations here for Katherine. If you want to do this tag, fine.
Belden Lane's Solace of Fierce Landscapes
Kazantzakis--get into him.
The Faith we Sing--Since you like hymnals

No comments:

Post a Comment